10 Commandments (Exodus 20)
The Essence of the Law
(Deuteronomy 10:12 - NKJV)
12. And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,
The Greatest Commandment
(Matthew 22:34-40 - NKJV)
34. But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the
Sadducees, they gathered together. 35. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked
Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36. "Teacher, which
is the great commandment in the law?"
37. Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38. This is the first and great commandment. 39. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
(Exodus 20:1-17 - NKJV)
1. And God spoke all these words, saying:
2. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3. You shall have no other gods before Me.
4. You shall not make for yourself a carved image, any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5. you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6. but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
7. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
8. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10. but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
12. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
13. You shall not murder.
14. You shall not commit adultery.
15. You shall not steal.
16. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17. You shall not covet your neighbor s house; you shall not covet your neighbor s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor s.